Looking for a sweet heart-shaped Valentine’s Day treat? These delicious jam filled shortbread cookies are just what you need! Tender sandy shortbread cookies sandwiched together with sweet raspberry jam. A deliciously simple and sweet recipe.
I’m not usually one to do much for Valentine’s Day but I love surprising my husband with homemade sweet treats.
This year the sweet treat of choice was these delicious (and beautiful!) jam-filled shortbread cookies.
I used raspberry jam for this recipe but the filling can be changed to use whatever you have on hand or whatever jam is your favorite.
If I had had any of my Vanilla Bean Strawberry Jam on hand that very likely would have been my top pick for this recipe!
I also love dusting these cookies with powdered sugar because not only does it make them look pretty it adds a nice little additional sweetness to the cookie that works really well with the tart raspberry jam filling.
Ingredients for shortbread sandwich cookies
- Unsalted butter – I like to use unsalted butter because I can control the amount of salt in the cookies.
- Eggs – I used large sized eggs which brings stability and richness to the dough.
- Vanilla extract – Just a touch for additional flavor. Almond extract would be a great substiute.
- All purpose flour – This is the base of the dough. I like to use unbleached flour but either is fine.
- Powdered sugar – Using powdered sugar brings sweetness to the cookie and is used to sprinkle the tops of the cookies.
- Baking powder – This helps the cookie cook up soft and delicious.
- Kosher salt – Just a touch to bring flavor.
- Raspberry jam – I like to use a nice seedy jam that has a bit of tart to it so it doesn’t make the sandwich cookie too sweet. Especially if you’re going to sprinke the tops with powdered sugar.
What jam is best for sandwich cookies?
I like to use a jam that has a little tartness because I like to cover these cookies in powdered sugar.
A few other great tart options:
- Orange marmalade
If you don’t want to sprinkle your cookies with powdered sugar you could use a sweeter jam.
A few great options:
- Vanilla Honey Peach Butter
Do I have to make these cookies heart shaped?
I made them heart-shaped to sorta go with the Valentine’s Day holiday BUT this recipe will work the same with round-shaped cookies as well.
You can even skip the step about cutting out the middle if you don’t want to show the filling through the cookie.
A heart-shaped cookie cutter set like this gives you a few options for sizing.
How do I store leftover cookies?
I like to store these leftover cookies on the countertop in an air-tight container for 24 hours.
After 24 hours I pop them in the fridge and store them for up to 3 days.
Because the cookies are sandwiched with jam it will soften the cookie slightly.
Love these jam filled shortbread cookies?
Why not try a few of my other delicious cookie recipes?
- Love brown butter? Try my Brown Butter Peanut Butter Cookies.
- Need a great fresh zesty cookie? Try my Vanilla Bean Lemon Sugar Cookies.
- Craving a classic with a twist? Try my Espresso Salted Chocolate Chip Cookies.
- Need an easy showstopper cooker? Try my Almond Sugar Cookies.
Jam Filled Shortbread Cookies
Looking for a sweet heart-shaped Valentine's Day treat? These delicious jam filled shortbread cookies are just what you need! Tender sandy shortbread cookies sandwiched together with sweet raspberry jam. A deliciously simple and sweet recipe.
- 12 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cups powdered sugar, plus more for sprinkling
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3/4 cup raspberry jam
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Line two baking sheets with parchment paper and set them aside.
- In a large bowl with a hand mixer, or in the bowl of a stand mixer, cream the butter until fluffy.
- Add the egg and vanilla extract and mix until combined.
- In a medium-sized mixing bowl whisk together all-purpose flour, powdered sugar, baking powder, and kosher salt.
- Slowly incorporate the flour mixture into the dough and mix until just combined.
- Using your hand knead the dough into a ball.
- Sprinkle flour over your counter or workspace and add the dough to the floured surface and sprinkle the top of the dough with a dusting of flour.
- Using a floured rolling pin, roll the dough until it is 1/4 inch thick.
- Using a heart-shaped or round cookie cutter, cut out an even number of cookies. I got about 44 cookies.
- Take half of your cut-out cookies and cut out the center with a smaller cookie cutter.
- Place cookies on baking trays and bake for 15 - 18 minutes, or until the edges are a bit golden.
- Once fully cooked remove from the oven and let cool.
- Once they are cool, take the full cookies, turn them over, and with a spatula or spoon, spread 1 teaspoon jam on top of a cookie.
- Take the cookie with the hole in the middle and sift some powdered sugar over them.
- Take that top piece and place them over the jam cookies like a cookie sandwich.
- Continue until completed and enjoy.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 22 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 190Total Fat: 7gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 34mgSodium: 31mgCarbohydrates: 29gFiber: 1gSugar: 9gProtein: 3g
This website provides approximate nutrition information for convenience and as a courtesy only. Nutrition information can vary for a variety of reasons. For the most precise nutritional data use your preferred nutrition calculator based on the actual ingredients you used in the recipe.
20 Scrumptious Cookie Recipes With Jam You Will Love
Wednesday 8th of March 2023
[…] 8. Jam Filled Shortbread Cookies By Nutmeg Nanny […]