This roasted beet feta salad is full of bright colors and flavors! Red and yellow beets, mixed greens, crumbly feta, and crunchy walnuts, drizzled with a yummy, sweet balsamic vinaigrette.
It’s no secret that we eat with our eyes first, well just wait until you see how hungry you get from this bold and brightly colored salad!
This beet feta salad has bright red and yellow beets, delicious mixed greens, salty creamy feta, and crunchy walnuts, all topped with a sweet and tangy balsamic vinaigrette.
It’s so easy to put together and it makes for a perfect brunch or lunch salad with friends.
Trust me, you’ll love diving into this beautifully vibrant beet feta salad!
Looking for more ways to use beets in a salad? Try my Crispy Roasted Brussels Sprouts Beet and Bacon Salad or my Fried Goat Cheese Beet Salad.
Ingredients for beet feta salad
- Red and yellow beets – These brightly colored veggies are earthy and full of vitamins.
- Feta cheese – Feta is a Greek brined white cheese made from sheep’s milk that adds saltiness and creaminess to the salad.
- Mixed greens – Feel free to use your favorite blend of mixed greens in this salad!
- Walnuts – Walnuts add a satisfying crunch!
- Olive Oil – Make sure to use high-quality olive oil for a rich, buttery flavor.
- Balsamic vinegar – Balsamic is a concentrated, sweet vinegar.
- Maple syrup – Maple syrup will add a deep sweetness and slight smokiness to balance the acidity of the vinegar.
How to cook your own beets
Cooking beets doesn’t have to be intimidating!
My two favorite methods for cooking beets are roasting and boiling.
To roast your own beets, first set your oven to 425 degrees F.
Rub some olive oil on the outside of the beet, wrap it tightly in aluminum foil, and roast for 45-55 minutes, depending on its size.
To boil your own beets, simply place them in a large pot of salted water, and boil for 35-45 minutes, again, depending on size.
For both methods, the beets are fully cooked when they are fork-tender.
And the best part is, you can make the beets up to 3 days beforehand!
Just cool them to room temperature, and store them in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
Also, don’t throw away those beet tops! Try my making my Beet Green Pesto.
Adding protein to this roasted beet feta salad is a breeze!
To add chicken, use help from your local grocery store for a pre-cooked rotisserie chicken!
A grilled and sliced steak would also be a delicious pairing for this beet feta salad.
If you’d like to keep it vegetarian, adding white beans or chickpeas is also a great option.
What is balsamic vinegar?
Balsamic vinegar is a concentrated vinegar made from grape must that has been aged.
It is sweeter and thicker than red wine vinegar, or apple cider vinegar.
If you prefer a cleaner, stronger, sharper taste, I would recommend using red wine vinegar.
But I prefer the sweet, deep flavor of balsamic in this application.
Substitutions and adaptations
Not a fan of mixed greens?
Try using baby arugula, baby kale, or even baby spinach. I prefer a tender green but massaged kale would work well here too.
Don’t feel like roasting your own beets?
You can oftentimes find roasted beets right in your grocery store! The best place to look is over by where you buy refrigerated salad dressings or they can sometimes be found on the store salad bar.
Not all stores have salad bars but they are popular at places like Whole Foods.
Canned beets can also be used but make sure they’re not pickled unless that is a flavor you’re looking for.
More salad recipes
- Want more feta? Try my Peach Feta Salad.
- Craving some chicken? Try my Grilled Chicken Caesar Salad.
- Looking for more greens? Try my Green Goddess Salad.
- Need to use up those tomatoes? Try my Tomato Peach Caprese Salad.
- 3 medium sized red beets
- 3 medium sized yellow beets
- 6 cups mixed greens
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 1/2 cup toasted walnuts
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.
- Cut the tops and bottoms off the beets.
- Rub a small amount of olive oil over the beets and wrap each one individually in foil.
- Roast the beets in the prepared oven for 45-55 minutes depending on size, until fork tender.
- Let cool, peel off the skin (it should come off easily), and chop into small bite-size chunks.
- To assemble the salad place the lettuce in a large bowl or serving platter.
- Top with beets, feta cheese, and walnuts.
- Drizzle on the dressing or serve on the side.
- In a small bowl whisk to combine.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 195Total Fat: 15gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 11gCholesterol: 11mgSodium: 259mgCarbohydrates: 12gFiber: 2gSugar: 9gProtein: 4g
This website provides approximate nutrition information for convenience and as a courtesy only. Nutrition information can vary for a variety of reasons. For the most precise nutritional data use your preferred nutrition calculator based on the actual ingredients you used in the recipe.