Homemade Garlic Butter Croutons

These homemade garlic butter croutons are full of flavor and perfect on top of soup or salad. Full of flavor and ready in just about 30 minutes.

I have a friend who owns an ice cream shop near my work called The Blue Pig. During the fall she starts serving soup and starts making these ahhhhhhhhhhhmazing garlic butter croutons. Sometimes I will go to her shop, chat and then starts shoveling fists full of these gems into my mouth. They are that good!

They are even better served on top of homemade tomato soup and of course on salad. Or, you could easily just sit down with a bowl and treat them like potato chips. It’s your call. I won’t judge you.

These beauties are tossed in butter, garlic and lots of salt. These are not the “low-fat” croutons so you should probably eat them in moderation. Unless you are a fan of delicious goodness. Then you should probably shovel them into your mouth by the fistful. Again, no judgement here. I certainly wouldn’t blame you.

Homemade Garlic Butter Croutons

Yield: 6 servings

• 1 loaf crusty French bread - left out overnight
  • 1 stick unsalted butter
  • 1-2 teaspoons kosher salt
  • 2 cloves garlic - minced

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.

Cut French bread into 1-inch squares and set aside.

In a large pot melt down butter, add salt and garlic. Remove from heat and add in cut up bread. Toss until butter is soaked into the bread and flavors are evenly distributed over bread.

Spread butter soaked bread onto a silpat (or parchment) lined sheet pan. Bake for 15-20 minutes until browned. Toss once or twice during baking to ensure all sides are perfectly toasted.

17 Responses to “Homemade Garlic Butter Croutons”

Cassie — September 20, 2012 at 10:28 pm

I LOVE homemade croutons. These are making me drool!

Rachel Cooks — September 21, 2012 at 7:25 am

Homemade croutons are THE BEST. These look so good!

Heather | Farmgirl Gourmet — September 21, 2012 at 4:23 pm

you had me at butter. 🙂 Looks delish. Love making homemade croutons.

Elisabeth — September 23, 2012 at 3:19 pm

The croutons sound delish! I love The Blue Pig! Live nearby it!

Rachel @ Baked by Rachel — September 23, 2012 at 4:51 pm

I snack on croutons when they’re around and completely want these right now. Must make asap.

Mackenzie {SusieFreakingHomemaker} — September 25, 2012 at 9:01 am

I needed these yesterday with my roasted tomato soup!! I wish I was paying attention and had seen these! I will be making these, because let’s be honest – there is leftover soup! 🙂

Megan @ whatmegansmaking — September 25, 2012 at 10:44 am

Oh my goodness, I need these! Especially with all the soups I’ve been making!

Erin @ Dinners, Dishes and Desserts — September 25, 2012 at 9:10 pm

Oh my, those look so buttery, and crunchy, and perfect!

The Food Hound — October 1, 2012 at 11:49 am

Let’s face it, these are making me want soup BADLY. Homemade croutons are totally the way to go!! Of course, I would want the croutons in the soup AND crusty bread to eat on the side. That’s me- a bread hound.

Zara — October 29, 2013 at 3:24 pm

These were perfect! I even had trouble sharing! Thank you, I will never buy croutons again!

Question Everything — July 16, 2016 at 5:07 am

2″ squares? How does one fit a crouton of that size in their mouth? Besides, your pics do not show croutons that big. Misprint?

• nutmegnanny replied: — July 25th, 2016 @ 9:18 pm

Totally right! I fixed it 🙂

Cheryl Hanson — December 20, 2016 at 8:57 am

Although I expect they won’t last long, how should the croutons be stored?

• nutmegnanny replied: — December 20th, 2016 @ 9:56 pm

Hi Cheryl! I usually just put them in a air tight container like a Tupperware or ziptop bag. Hope you enjoy the croutons 🙂

Cheryl Hanson — December 23, 2016 at 7:47 am

I made these yesterday to serve with home made tomato basil soup. I need not have worried about how to store the croutons. They were all gone by the end of the day. They were absolutely delicious in the soup, but there was a lot of snacking going on. Yum!!!

1. Pingback: Pumpkin Cornbread Croutons - Nutmeg Nanny

2. Pingback: Garlic Recipe Roundup for National Garlic Month | The Hungry Goddess