Cranberry Smoothie Bowl

This cranberry smoothie bowl is packed full of cranberries, mixed berries, bananas, almond milk and topped with coconut, chia seeds and nuts. It’s healthy, delicious and the perfect holiday rush breakfast.

This cranberry smoothie bowl is packed full of cranberries, mixed berries, bananas, almond milk and topped with coconut, chia seeds and nuts. It's healthy, delicious and the perfect holiday rush breakfast.

I used to be one of those people who totally talked smack about smoothie bowls. I would look at them online and think to myself “Why would you ever put a smoothie in a bowl? What is wrong with people? Why is this a thing?” Then I made myself an apple pie smoothie bowl and I learned that I was wrong and smoothie bowls totally rock. I mean I still feel like a sellout that I gave into the fad but seriously there is nothing better than a delicious smoothie topped with all. the. toppings.

In this case the toppings are dried coconut, almonds, pumpkin seeds, chia seeds and dried cranberries. I also happen to think granola would be a pretty bomb topping too.

I will say this cranberry smoothie bowl is just a little on the tart side but using fresh cranberries will do that to a recipe. That’s why I threw in a little Truvia brown sugar blend for just a little dash of sweetness.

The other great thing about a smoothie bowl is that you can change just about anything you desire. Don’t like almond milk? It’s cool – use coconut milk. Not a fan of chia seeds? Try using flax seeds. That’s what makes smoothies (in general) pretty freaking awesome.

Also can we talk about the color of this smoothie? How gorgeous is that? I was blown away with the pretty color of this smoothie. I think because in my normal quick smoothies I throw in some sort of green vegetable and it always makes my smoothie turn the color of sludge. I mean I love the nutrition kale and spinach brings to a smoothie but the color – not so much.

So bust out that blender (I really love my Vitamix for this. It breaks down all the ingredients so it makes the smoothie super smooth) add all the ingredients and get to blending! I should let you know I used fresh cranberries that I froze in this recipe. By using frozen fruits it helps the smoothie come out super cold. If you use fresh cranberries (that were not frozen) you can add in a little ice to make the mixture super cold. You will probably have to add a little more almond milk to smooth it out but it’s worth it for an ice cold smoothie.

Am I right?

Looking for more cranberry recipes? Try my cranberry rosemary focaccia bread, cranberry orange Dutch baby or my cranberry bbq sauce cornish hens

Cranberry Smoothie Bowl

Yield: 2 smoothie bowls

For smoothie bowl:

• 2 cups almond milk (more may be needed)
  • 1-1/2 cups fresh frozen cranberries
  • 1 cup frozen mixed berries
  • 1 banana
  • 1/2 teaspoon Truvia brown sugar blend (more if desired)

For topping:

• 1/4 cup dried coconut
  • 1/4 cup chopped almonds
  • 1/4 cup pumpkin seeds
  • 1/4 cup chopped dried cranberries
  • 2 tablespoons chia seeds

For smoothie:
In a high powered blender (I used my Vitamix) add almond milk, frozen cranberries, mixed berries, banana and Truvia brown sugar blends to the mixer.

Start off blending your mixture slowly and once it starts to break up slowly blend faster until the mixture is completely smooth. if the mixture is too thick add in a little more almond milk until you have reached desired consistency. If the smoothie is not sweet enough add a little more Truvia and blend until you have reached your desired sweetness level.

Pour your smoothie into 2 bowls and top with desired toppings.

For topping:
Add half the coconut, almonds, pumpkin seeds, cranberries and chia seeds to the top of each smoothie bowl.

Disclosure: This post was sponsored by Truvia. As always all opinions are 100% my own.

45 Responses to “Cranberry Smoothie Bowl”

Rachel @ Baked by Rachel — November 30, 2015 at 7:53 am

I’ve yet to try a smoothie bowl but this one might have to be my first because… cranberry?!?! Love!! And it’s SO pretty!

Amy Stafford — November 30, 2015 at 7:57 am

The color of this bowl is incredible. It looks and sounds delicious. I am totally adding this to my smoothie recipes- never thought to use cranberries.

Shashi at RunninSrilankan — November 30, 2015 at 8:33 am

Haha – glad you crossed over to the smoothie-bowl side of the street 🙂
    Brandy, this is really a phenomenal looking smoothie bowl (I almost thought it was a beet one when I first laid eyes on it on FB) – I adore the color! And ooh – those toppings!

Taylor @ Food Faith Fitness — November 30, 2015 at 8:35 am

The color on this is SO pretty!! I used to be one of those smoothie bowl people too…until I tried one! I need this for breakfast and I love that you used Truvia! Pinned!

Ali @ Home & Plate — November 30, 2015 at 9:06 am

Yum! This smoothie bowl has everything I like in one place. Perfect start to your day.

Beth — November 30, 2015 at 9:12 am

Brandy!! Is the bowl and wooden spoon from Polder’s Old World Kitchen?! I want some!!

sue|theviewfromgreatisland — November 30, 2015 at 9:33 am

This just makes so much sense, cranberries are the ‘it’ berry right now, what a splash of color! (I REALLY need a vitamix!)

Danae @ Recipe Runner — November 30, 2015 at 9:50 am

Smoothie bowls are the best and I seriously can’t get over the gorgeous color of this cranberry one! Absolutely beautiful!

naomi — November 30, 2015 at 10:04 am

Yep, always a good idea for mornings or anytime of day!

Kacey @ The Cookie Writer — November 30, 2015 at 11:01 am

Ahaha, I feel terrible because I would talk smack about them, too, but they always look so good! And seriously, yours looks AMAZING!

Meg @ With Salt and Wit — November 30, 2015 at 12:00 pm

Now if I could start my day like this every morning i would be one happy gal!

Julia — November 30, 2015 at 12:30 pm

This is such a beautiful color! I love cranberries so this is the top of my list to make!

Cathy Pollak ~ Noble Pig — November 30, 2015 at 12:49 pm

Just the color of this makes me smile. What a great way to start the day.

The Food Hunter — November 30, 2015 at 3:42 pm

after all the food I ate this holiday this looks amazingly refreshing>

Stephanie — November 30, 2015 at 4:09 pm

I need to get on the smoothie bowl bandwagon. This looks so good!

Lauren Kelly Nutrition — November 30, 2015 at 6:15 pm

I LOVE smoothie bowls but this has to be the prettiest one I have ever seen!! And I love that you added cranberries, so festive!

Kirsten/ComfortablyDomestic — November 30, 2015 at 6:16 pm

I used to think that smoothie bowls were beyond ridiculous. I figured that if I wanted to eat something like that with a spoon, than I’d eat a yogurt parfait and call it good. Why eat something soupy with crunch thrown on top? Because smoothie bowls are delicious, that’s why! Fresh cranberries are my love!

Ginny McMeans — November 30, 2015 at 6:23 pm

Smoothie bowls are awesome and you mentioned some great subs – just in case. Luckily I love it all and can’t wait to try your beautiful recipe. Thanks!

Kimberly @ The Daring Gourmet — November 30, 2015 at 8:25 pm

This smoothie bowl sounds awesome and your pictures are absolutely gorgeous!

Jennifer Stewart — November 30, 2015 at 9:10 pm

I have never tried a smoothie bowl, but going Paleo I can’t eat oatmeal. This looks like something I can get behind and add all those crunchy nuts and coconut! The color is beautiful!

Kellie @ The Suburban Soapbox — November 30, 2015 at 9:19 pm

What a fantastic (and colorful) way to start the day!!! Love it!

Patricia @ Grab a Plate — November 30, 2015 at 9:52 pm

Holy bowl of gorgeousness! This looks absolutely amazing — the color! The goodies over the top! Just amazing. Sounds like a great breakfast!

Becky Hardin | The Cookie Rookie — November 30, 2015 at 10:00 pm

GASP! This is gorgeous! THOSE COLORS!

Lora @savoringitaly — November 30, 2015 at 10:16 pm

I guess I’m late to join the smoothie bowl train! The smoothies I make are so thick, they may as well be served in a bowl;) Love the cranberry idea and yes, gorgeous color!

Megan Keno — November 30, 2015 at 10:46 pm

I’ve never heard of a smoothie bowl… But wow, definitely am going to have to try this! Sounds so refreshing.

Susan — November 30, 2015 at 11:01 pm

Absolutely gorgeous! I am ashamed to admit, I have never had a smoothie bowl. But I will be trying yours first! Thanks for sharing.

Lisa @ Healthy Nibbles & Bits — December 1, 2015 at 2:10 am

The color of this smoothie bowl is SO beautiful, Brandy! I just got a Vitamix, and I can’t wait to use it!

carrie @Bakeaholic Mama — December 1, 2015 at 7:10 am

I think they are totally genius, you are not a sell out. I’m a person who never has a straw…. and hates drinking smoothies without them… I get a major mustache ever single time. So I prefer a spoonable version!

Renee - Kudos Kitchen — December 1, 2015 at 8:25 am

I have yet to make a smoothie bowl but I do love the concept. This one looks especially pretty with the color and all the tasty toppings.

Jamie | My Baking Addiction — December 1, 2015 at 8:47 am

I totally smack about smoothie bowls too, but this one may be a total game changer. I can’t get over how beautiful this one is! And gorgeous photos as always!

Heather | All Roads Lead to the Kitchen — December 1, 2015 at 2:29 pm

Seriously this is freaking gorgeous! I admit, I’m one of those people who talk smack about smoothie bowls…I don’t really get them…but I’m starting to. Yum.

Nicole — December 1, 2015 at 3:14 pm

I’d definitely have a great day if it started with something as beautiful as this smoothie bowl!

Aly ~ Cooking In Stilettos — December 1, 2015 at 6:41 pm

Confession: I have yet to try a smoothie bowl – and after seeing your pics, I clearly have been missing out. These look fantastic Brandy!

Angie | Big Bear's Wife — December 1, 2015 at 7:46 pm

haha so I’m one of those people. I am all like “why is the smoothie in a bowl a thing” but yours is beautiful and now I want to make one. Plus the color is wonderful!

Rose | The Clean Dish — December 1, 2015 at 9:31 pm

What a GORGEOUS smoothie bowl!! Stunning! I was one of those, too… I didn’t get why you’d put a smoothie in a bowl but duh, the toppings!! Looks like you picked the most delicious toppings, too. I’m excited to try your recipe!

Kim Beaulieu — December 1, 2015 at 11:21 pm

I used to be like you too. I thought it was crazy that people liked smoothie bowls. Then I tried one and was hooked too. They’re so good. This is the prettiest smoothie bowl I’ve ever seen. Not even kidding. It’s freaking gorgeous.

Dani @ The Adventure Bite — December 2, 2015 at 9:36 am

Bam! I saw this in my feed this morning and was awe struck by that color. You are a food styling magician woman! This is seriously so pretty. And I totally hated on the smoothie bowl too….I have to put like a dozen ice cubes in mine to get over the texture thing so it’s more like ice cream ha.

xoxo Dani

Colleen (Souffle Bombay) — December 2, 2015 at 9:52 am

I have never even come across a smoothie bowl let alone had one. Huh! If they look like yours I am in! The colors are amazing and I love the texture and flavors you have happening here. Is it wrong that I still want a straw??

Barbara Bianchi — December 2, 2015 at 8:44 pm

This is almost too pretty to eat. I’m going to love sharing. 🙂

Laura Dembowski — December 3, 2015 at 8:39 am

I’m obsessed with smoothie bowls but sometimes I get bored with them. I can’t wait to try cranberries! Oh, and yes, the Vitamix is the best.

Brenda @ a farmgirl's dabbles — December 3, 2015 at 10:56 am

The gorgeous color!!!! So beautiful and enticing.

Monique @ Ambitious Kitchen — December 6, 2015 at 1:44 pm

Yes, please! I love how beautiful this is and the fact that you used almond milk and cranberries. 🙂

Sarah Walker Caron (Sarah's Cucina Bella) — December 6, 2015 at 11:20 pm

The color of this smoothie bowl is gorgeous. And the toppings! YUM.

Katie — February 6, 2016 at 8:28 am

Hi! Where did you get your wooden bowls? I want to find quality ones that are decent and not from china! Love your posts 🙂
    Thanks and keep it up!

• nutmegnanny replied: — February 14th, 2016 @ 10:24 pm

Hi Katie! I got my bowls at Home Goods. I’m not 100% where they are from (so maybe China?) but I really do love them and they weren’t too expensive!