These on the vine roasted tomatoes are packed full of flavor and are the perfect use for all your summer tomatoes. Perfectly roasted and great on salads, thrown in pasta, or just eaten plain!
My favorite time of year is tomato season!
When tomatoes are in season, they’re perfectly ripe and sweet, and immediately ready to be used in all of your salads, pasta, and sandwiches, like my all-time favorite summertime tomato sandwich!
These on the vine roasted tomatoes, take nature’s already perfect fruit, and concentrate their sweet, luscious flavor and slightly crack and blister the skin.
You’ll love how soft and juicy these on the vine roasted tomatoes turn out, and will definitely want to have them on hand all summer long!
Ingredients for on the vine roasted tomatoes
- On the vine tomatoes – These tomatoes are packed full of flavor!
- Olive oil – This is the fat we’re using to help roast our tomatoes. Use high-quality olive oil with lots of flavors.
- Salt and pepper – Simple salt and pepper seasoning help enhance the natural flavor of our vine ripe tomatoes.
If you can’t find on-the-vine tomatoes, don’t worry!
Most local grocery stores have tons of tomato options!
And you probably have a local farmers market nearby with local, fresh produce, too.
So which tomato is best for roasting?
Honestly, all of them!
The best tomatoes to use are the ones that are ripe and have not been refrigerated.
Refrigeration of raw tomatoes makes the texture of tomatoes grainy, and mealy. And it is not reversible!
Want to turn up the volume?
Feel free to add crushed garlic, torn fresh basil leaves, or even a sprinkle of red pepper flake to your dish before baking.
These will all enhance the natural flavors of the tomatoes, and give you a delicious base for all of your dishes!
Storage and leftovers
These roasted tomatoes will keep in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. (Because they are cooked, they will no longer be at risk of becoming grainy and mealy in the fridge.)
Finally, reheating is as simple as putting them in a microwave-safe dish and heating for 1-2 minutes or until heated thoroughly.
More tomato recipes
- Want a delicious brunch idea? Try my Tomato Ricotta Toast.
- Need a fresh summer salad? Try my Grilled Sourdough Panzanella Salad.
- Looking for something savory? Try my Savory Tomato Cobbler.
- Love a crispy, fresh tart? Try my Heirloom Tomato Tart.
- 2 pounds of on the vine tomatoes
- Olive oil
- Kosher salt
- Black pepper
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a 9x13 baking dish add your tomatoes.
- Drizzle them lightly with olive oil and season with the desired amount of kosher salt and black pepper.
- Roast for about 35 minutes or until the skin is cracked and the tomatoes are soft. Keep in mind the size of your tomatoes will depend on how long they cook. If you're cooking larger tomatoes they will cook longer and if your use cherry tomatoes they will cook up faster.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 52Total Fat: 4gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 84mgCarbohydrates: 5gFiber: 2gSugar: 3gProtein: 1g
This website provides approximate nutrition information for convenience and as a courtesy only. Nutrition information can vary for a variety of reasons. For the most precise nutritional data use your preferred nutrition calculator based on the actual ingredients you used in the recipe.