These oven baked chili cheese dogs are the perfect Super Bowl and game day treat. Made right on a sheet pan and then oven baked until hot and melty. You’ll love this simple party perfect dish!
Who doesn’t love hot dogs? I know I do!
But sometimes, I want something more than just a standard hot dog, bun, and mustard.
These oven baked chili cheese dogs are packed full of yummy chili, gooey cheese, and crunchy toppings, ready to feed a hungry crowd!
They’re great to serve at a summertime party, or for a big game day treat.
Trust me, these oven baked chili cheese dogs will have your family cheering!
I used some leftover Chipotle Ground Turkey Chili for these hot dogs but you can also use canned as the recipe points out.
Ingredients for Oven Baked Chili Cheese Dogs
- Hot dog buns – You can get either traditional or split-top. Both work here!
- Cooked beef hot dogs – Feel free to use your favorite brand of hot dogs.
- Spicy brown mustard – Tangy and spicy, brown mustard gives us a little heat!
- Chili – You can use either homemade or canned.
- Cheddar cheese – Cheddar cheese gives a sharp, pungent flavor and melts wonderfully.
- Red onion – Slightly spicy and crisp, a perfect topping for our hot dogs.
- Cilantro – A green, fresh herbaceous flavor.
These oven baked chili cheese dogs are so versatile, it’s really up to you!
I’ve chosen fresh red onion and cilantro, but if you’re not a fan of those, feel free to switch it out for a bright, white onion, and fresh parsley.
Or change it up completely and use your favorite corn chip, tortilla strips, or sliced green onions!
Not a fan of cheddar? No problem!
Use Monterey Jack or a shredded Mexican cheese blend.
Is spicy brown mustard too strong for your tastebuds?
Plain yellow mustard is perfectly fine!
And even though I highly discourage it, you wouldn’t hurt my feelings if you chose to use ketchup on top of these.
If you don’t eat meat, don’t despair.
Most major grocery stores now carry great meat-substitute hot dogs, so everyone can enjoy them!
Along with regular chili, you can often find vegetarian chili in the canned aisle of grocery stores as well.
Storage and leftovers
Any leftover oven-baked chili cheese dogs can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
Reheating is as simple as putting them on a microwave-safe dish, covering them loosely with a damp paper towel, and heated 3-4 minutes until heated thoroughly.
More hot dog recipes
- Craving something spicy? Try my Andouille Chili Dogs.
- Looking for something crispy? Try my Slaw Dogs with Crispy Corned Beef.
- Need something sweet? Try my 30 Second Peach Jalapeño Salsa Dog.
- Want to use your air fryer? Try my Air Fryer Hot Dogs.
Oven Baked Chili Cheese Dogs
These oven baked chili cheese dogs are the perfect party meal! Made right on a sheet pan and then oven baked until hot and melty.
- 8 soft hot dog buns
- 8 cooked beef hot dogs
- 1/2 cup spicy brown mustard
- 1 cup homemade or canned chili
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup minced red onion
- 1/4 cup minced cilantro
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.
- On a non-stick baking sheet add hot dog buns and place 1 hot dog inside each bun.
- Spread the top of each hot dog with 1 tablespoon of spicy brown mustard.
- Top each hot dog with 2 tablespoons of chili.
- Sprinkle the tops of each hot dog with shredded cheddar cheese.
- Bake for about 10 minutes or until the cheese is melted and the chili is warmed.
- Remove from the oven and sprinkle the chili cheese dogs with red onion and cilantro.
- Serve hot.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 405Total Fat: 23gSaturated Fat: 9gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 10gCholesterol: 47mgSodium: 1066mgCarbohydrates: 34gFiber: 3gSugar: 6gProtein: 17g
This website provides approximate nutrition information for convenience and as a courtesy only. Nutrition information can vary for a variety of reasons. For the most precise nutritional data use your preferred nutrition calculator based on the actual ingredients you used in the recipe.
Baked Ham and Cheese Party Sandwiches with Apple Butter - Nutmeg Nanny
Tuesday 6th of September 2022
[…] all my attention on the football snacks. Usually I’m a chili girl, but I also love making Oven Baked Chili Cheese Dogs, Charred Triple Onion Dip, and Sausage Spinach Mushroom Phyllo […]
Air Fryer Hot Dogs - and easy way to enjoy a classic treat!
Friday 7th of May 2021
[…] Oven Baked Chili Cheese Dogs […]
Tuesday 26th of March 2019
Can the chili cheese oven dogs be reheated for next day leftovers?
Wednesday 6th of February 2019
Wow! these have to happen at our next party! Saving this one!
Tuesday 5th of February 2019
This looks insanely delicious! Absolutely a huge hit on the table, need to make this!