These air fryer apple hand pies are the perfect personal portable pie! Made easy with premade crust and classic apple pie flavors, you’ll love how they taste!
What’s better than pie? An adorable hand pie!
These air fryer apple hand pies are not only cute and delicious but also super easy to make.
Taking some help from the grocery store with premade pie crust ensures perfect, flaky crusts every time. These air fryer apple hand pies are filled with sweet, cooked apples and warm apple pie spices, and cooked to perfection in the air fryer.
Making apple pie doesn’t have to be tricky, trust me, once you try these air fryer apple hand pies, you’ll be making them all the time!
Ingredients for air fryer apple hand pies
- Refrigerated pie crusts – These can be found in most major grocery stores in the freezer section.
- Eggs and milk – This combo helps seal the edges of our hand pies.
- Coarse sugar – This gives a pretty sparkle and sugary crunch on the outside.
- Apple pie filling – Feel free to use homemade, or your favorite store-bought variety.
How to make apple pie filling
You can absolutely use a premade, canned apple pie filling that is easily found in most major grocery stores.
However, if you’d like to make your own, this is how you would do it:
In a pot on the stove, combine diced apples, lemon juice, apple pie spice, apple juice, and sugar, and bring to a simmer. Cook until the apples have broken down slightly, and the mixture has thickened.
Cool to room temperature before using.
This homemade apple pie filling can be made up to 2 days in advance. Just keep it in the refrigerator in an airtight container until ready to use.
Making your own apple pie spice
I used store-bought apple pie spice for these apple hand pies but it’s so easy to make your own!
My favorite combination is equal parts cinnamon, nutmeg, and allspice.
But feel free to throw in some ginger, or cardamom too!
What is an air fryer?
An air fryer is basically a tabletop convection oven.
It mimics the outcome of a deep fat fryer but without the use of oil. Hot hair is moved around via a fan that quickly and crisply cooks up the food.
The 2 most common air fryers you’ll see are basket style (that is what I have) or convection/toaster oven style.
There are pluses to both but I personally prefer my basket style.
What is the best air fryer to buy?
My biggest tip when it comes to air fryers is to make sure you pick a style that will work the most for your family and the amount of food you will be cooking.
My large basket-style air fryer can cook up to 12 wings, 2-4 servings of french fries, etc. which works well for my household.
Storage and leftovers
These leftover air fryer apple hand pies can be stored at room temperature for up to 2 days.
More apple recipes
- Need something sweet? Try my Caramel Apple Dump Cake.
- Craving a warm crisp? Try my Brown Butter Vanilla Bean Apple Crisp.
- Looking for something savory? Try my Sheet Pan Chicken and Apples.
- Want a fun drink? Try my Caramel Apple Crisp Milkshake.
- 1 (14 ounce) package of refrigerated pie crusts
- 1 (21 ounce) can of apple pie filling
- 1 large egg
- 2 tablespoons milk
- Coarse sugar, optional
- Unroll the crusts onto a lightly floured surface.
- Use a 2-inch round cookie cutter to cut out as many circles as you can, about 8.
- Fill the center of each circle with apple pie filling (about 1 tablespoon), making sure to leave a ¼ inch border around the edges.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the egg and milk to make the egg wash.
- Brush the edges of the filled circle with the egg wash and place another dough round on top.
- Crimp the edges with a fork to seal the filling in and gently cut 2-3 holes in the middle of the pie, this will help release the air so the pie doesn’t explode!
- Brush the top of the pies with egg wash and sprinkle with coarse sugar, if using.
- Repeat with the other pies.
- Place the filled pies in the air fryer basket and at 370 degrees F until golden brown, about 10 minutes.
- Enjoy immediately and store any leftover pies in an airtight container in the fridge for up to three days.
To make in the oven cook at 400 degrees F for 15-18 minutes.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 89Total Fat: 4gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 16mgSodium: 75mgCarbohydrates: 12gFiber: 1gSugar: 4gProtein: 1g
This website provides approximate nutrition information for convenience and as a courtesy only. Nutrition information can vary for a variety of reasons. For the most precise nutritional data use your preferred nutrition calculator based on the actual ingredients you used in the recipe.