This spicy shrimp over creamy polenta is perfectly spiced and full of smoky flavor. Made with fresh shrimp, spicy tomatoes, and creamy cheesy polenta.
There is nothing more I love than an easy dinner that is packed full of flavor.
That is where this spicy shrimp over creamy polenta comes into play.
It’s easy, PACKED full of flavor, and the heat levels can 100% be adjusted depending on your love (or dislike) of spicy food.
I really like using extra-large shrimp for this recipe because I think it makes it look fancy and gives you a good serving of shrimp per serving.
This dish is super cozy and the creamy cheesy polenta is something that never gets old. It’s so good.
Trust me, if you’re looking to really elevate your weekday meal planning this recipe gives you all the flavor without all the work.
Table of Contents
Can I use frozen shrimp?
Yes! But you’ll want to be sure to still buy raw frozen shrimp.
If you buy pre-cooked frozen shrimp the shrimp will end up becoming rubbery if you try to heat it up.
I usually get fresh deveined and deshelled shrimp from the seafood department but I have made this recipe several times using raw frozen shrimp.
Do defrost you’ll want to put the shrimp in a bowl with cold water until defrosted.
What are Rotel tomatoes?
Rotel tomatoes are canned diced tomatoes that pack a little heat by including diced fire-roasted green chiles.
They are typically found in the tomato aisle and comes in original, hot (with added habanero peppers) and no salt added.
If you’re looking to add more heat try the habanero variety.
Also, Rotel tomatoes come in 10-ounce cans which are slightly smaller than the usual 14-ounce cans plain diced tomatoes come in.
If you cannot find Rotel tomatoes I recommend substituting with regular diced tomatoes and a can of diced green chiles.
You’ll end up with a little more of the tomato mixture but it will still taste delicious.
Can I use a different type of protein?
While I personally love the shrimp in this recipe it could easily be replaced by chicken, scallops, or even white fish.
Just make sure whatever protein you pick it will pair nicely with cheesy polenta and spicy tomatoes.
Love this spicy shrimp over creamy polenta recipe?
Why not try a few of my other delicious shrimp recipes!
- Chipotle Shrimp Fajita Bowls
- Spicy Garlic Cilantro Shrimp
- Pasta with Shrimp and Feta
- Spicy Shrimp Egg Roll Skillet
- Shrimp Couscous Packets with Avocado Mango Salsa
- Garlic Shrimp Pesto Zoodles
- Crispy Shrimp Fried Rice
- Herbed Shrimp Orzo Salad
- Asian Shrimp Po Boy Sandwich
- Cajun Shrimp Fettuccine Alfredo
- Shrimp Tacos with Apple Pomegranate Salsa
Spicy Shrimp Over Creamy Polenta
For tomato mixture:
- 2 cups whole milk
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup course grain polenta
- 4 tablespoons salted butter
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Kosher salt to taste
- In a medium-sized mixing bowl add shrimp, olive oil, Cajun seasoning, smoked paprika, kosher salt, and optional cayenne pepper.
- Toss together until all the shrimp are coated.
- Place a large skillet over medium-high heat and add shrimp to the skillet.
- Cook until the shrimp turn pink and remove from the heat.
- Place shrimp on a plate and wipe out the skillet.
- The shrimp will also be warmed when added to the tomato mixture so keep that in mind when cooking the shrimp. It’s ok for them to be slightly undercooked.
For tomato mixture:
- In the skillet you cooked your shrimp (and wiped clean) add both can Rotel tomatoes, garlic, smoked paprika, and kosher salt to taste.
- Cook on medium heat until the mixture is hot.
- Add in shrimp, lower heat to low, and keep covered while you prepare polenta.
- In a large high-sided skillet set over medium-high heat add water and milk.
- Bring to a boil and slowly whisk in polenta.
- Once all the polenta has been added turn the heat down to low and slowly whisk until thick. On my stove, this takes about 7 minutes.
- Once creamy and cooked remove from heat and stir in butter, cheese, and salt.
- Add polenta to the bottom of a bowl and top with tomatoes and shrimp.