Grilled Pound Cake a la Mode

This grilled pound cake a la mode is perfect for brunch or dessert. Buttery pound cake grilled till crispy perfection and topped with fresh berries and ice cream. What is not to love about this dish?

When I was a kid I spent a lot of summers in Georgia. My stepmothers family lived there and I always had a blast visiting. I would explore in the mountains, drink fresh natural spring water, pick fresh watercress from the backyard stream {I don’t recommend this, I’m lucky I didn’t get bit by a cottonmouth} and wake up early every morning to feed apples to the horses down the lane.

Of course it didn’t stop there. I also fished, went exploring through thick grass {soooooo not smart, hello rattlesnakes!}, played with the family dog and spent my nights playing Rook and eating my great grandmothers canned figs. It was a summer vacation packed with exploring, good food and lots of family time!

The thing about the food was that it was all homemade and all delicious. You have no idea! I have never tasted such good cornbread and lima beans. I would probably pay a million dollars to anyone that could recreate that meal for me…sigh.

This dessert is actually inspired by a spunky lady who I was happy to call my Aunt Sarah. I remember one morning I told her I was off to go fishing and she told me I could not leave without a packed lunch and a healthy breakfast. The packed lunch was amazing! Leftover over ham and cheese on a biscuit…yum! {Isn’t it weird how I can remember such an unimportant detail about something that happened over 15 years ago but I can’t remember where I leave my car keys on a daily basis}

The “healthy breakfast” was fried pound cake with fresh fruit. Umm…I’m not sure it qualified as healthy but it sure was tasty! I think almost any morning would be 30% better just by starting it off with grilled pound cake. It’s buttery, sweet and extra delicious with fresh fruit. I decided to take it over the top and turn it into a dessert by adding a small scoop of ice cream. This was one dish I didn’t want to stop eating! I think that scoop of ice cream would have made Aunt Sarah proud too. Who doesn’t love a little added sweetness?

Grilled Pound Cake a la Mode

Yield: About 8 slices pound cake

1 loaf homemade or store bought pound cake, cut into 2 inch thick slices (you should get about 8 slices)
Butter
Vanilla ice cream
1/2 cup sliced strawberries
1/2 cup whole blueberries
Powdered sugar, optional

Butter both sides of the pound cake. Cook over medium heat until both sides are toasted and brown.

Top each slice of pound cake with a small scoop of vanilla ice cream and add strawberry slices and whole blueberries. Sprinkle with powdered sugar if desired.

58 Responses to “Grilled Pound Cake a la Mode”

kita — April 3, 2013 at 8:11 am

These pictures SCREAM warm sunny days! And I am in desperate need of that. Grilled pound cake sounds right up my ally.

And I was known to be let loose into the wild a few times as well as a child. I guess we are both lucky the animals didn’t snack on us instead ;D

• Brandy replied: — April 4th, 2013 @ 11:27 pm

I hate snakes and apparently I was always trying to get eaten by them…haha :)

Kelli @ The Corner Kitchen — April 3, 2013 at 10:23 am

Wow, Aunt Sarah had the right idea!! I never thought to grill pound cake…..love this idea!!

• Brandy replied: — April 7th, 2013 @ 11:34 pm

I hope you give it a try…it’s the best!

Kelly Senyei | Just a Taste — April 3, 2013 at 10:44 am

Wow! This looks absolutely incredible! All I need is some warmer weather and a grill :)

claire @ the realistic nutritionist — April 3, 2013 at 11:30 am

LOVE grilled poundcake!!

Sally @ Good Dinner Mom — April 3, 2013 at 1:38 pm

Grilled! Love this idea!

Cassie | Bake Your Day — April 3, 2013 at 4:30 pm

This is a fabulous idea, Brandy! It screams summer!!

Barbara @ Barbara Bakes — April 3, 2013 at 5:29 pm

What a great dessert for the warm months ahead. Wish someone would pack this for me.

Joanne — April 3, 2013 at 5:53 pm

Your summers sound amazing!! And yeah this is pretty much the perfect way to wake up. Cake and fruit are definitely the keys to a good day!

• Brandy replied: — April 4th, 2013 @ 10:25 am

Agreed! Cake is the key to a good day!!!

Averie @ Averie Cooks — April 3, 2013 at 6:19 pm

Love the storytelling and memories! And the fried pound cake for breakfast sounds like the best kind of breakfast ever:) Love the berries! And gorgeous photography!

• Brandy replied: — April 4th, 2013 @ 10:24 am

Thank you Averie! Summers were the best! If only I could go back to being a kid :)

Tracey — April 3, 2013 at 7:54 pm

Yep, I’m very envious of your summers as a kid – they sound amazing! I would happily eat fried (or grilled) pound cake with fruit for breakfast every single day of the week. Sign me up :)

• Brandy replied: — April 4th, 2013 @ 10:23 am

It’s so addicting!

Ali | Gimme Some Oven — April 3, 2013 at 8:52 pm

I would take this as a “healthy breakfast” any day! Your photos look absolutely beautiful! :)

• Brandy replied: — April 4th, 2013 @ 10:23 am

Thank you Ali! In the south I have a feeling pound cake definitely qualifies as healthy…haha :)

katie — April 4, 2013 at 7:02 am

Yum! Brandy this sounds amazing. I’ve never grilled pound cake… can you believe that? And I’m just like you and can remember the “unimportant” details like what I ate when I was like 4 years old!

• Brandy replied: — April 4th, 2013 @ 10:22 am

I’m glad I’m not the only one who can remember unimportant details :) Also, you need to get some grilled pound cake in your life. It’s amazing!

Gina — April 4, 2013 at 10:33 am

I can certainly get on board with that- YUM

The Café Sucré Farine — April 4, 2013 at 10:45 am

I am now ready for summer! This pound cake looks so pretty I can’t stop staring at your photos. I love your text on that top photo, what type of software do you use? It’s so very lovely!

Erica — April 4, 2013 at 11:14 am

This totally looks like farm fresh food! All those berries! The idea of grilling it? mmmm

Grilled pound cake…. what an awesome IDEA!!!!!

Katrina @ Warm Vanilla Sugar — April 4, 2013 at 2:56 pm

What a fun way to use pound cake! Yum!

Tony — April 4, 2013 at 3:07 pm

I makes these and they are a hit, Instead I make strawberry compost and blue berry compost and pour it over the ice cream. My partner is from Michigan so when we visit I will use fresh blueberries and people love it… This should be a go to idea for everybody… It is quick and cheap…

• Brandy replied: — April 7th, 2013 @ 11:41 pm

I love the idea of using compote! I bet it’s delicious!

Katrina — April 4, 2013 at 10:54 pm

Delicious, perfect, yum, wow. Want. ;) Love the idea of grilling the pound cake!

• Brandy replied: — April 7th, 2013 @ 11:42 pm

Thanks Katrina! Grilled pound cake is the best pound cake!

Megan {Country Cleaver} — April 4, 2013 at 11:33 pm

I totally want this for breakfast – healthy or not – who cares, this is the stuff summers are made of!!

• Brandy replied: — April 7th, 2013 @ 11:41 pm

Exactly! I cannot wait until summer is finally here!

carrian — April 4, 2013 at 11:41 pm

I’ve always wanted to visit Georgia, and Brandy good mercy! These look like heaven! Pinning yet another recipe from you.

• Brandy replied: — April 7th, 2013 @ 11:40 pm

Thanks for the pin Carrian! Georgia is beautiful. You should definitely plan a trip soon!

Sylvie @ Gourmande in the Kitchen — April 5, 2013 at 3:25 am

Hahaha, well she added fruit so I suppose that’s what she was referring to as the “healthy” part, but heck cake for breakfast sounds pretty darn good!

• Brandy replied: — April 7th, 2013 @ 11:39 pm

Fresh fruit always adds a snap of healthiness :)

Reeni — April 5, 2013 at 9:44 pm

Such sweet memories! I’d remember it too if someone were to pack me pound cake for breakfast. You can’t go wrong. I’m so ready to eat fresh berries every single day. Just like this with heavenly toasted pound cake. Divine.

• Brandy replied: — April 7th, 2013 @ 11:37 pm

I’m loving this warm weather! It always make me want to eat fresh fruit too :)

Shanna@ pineapple and coconut — April 6, 2013 at 3:56 pm

Love the childhood memories. I remember my cousin and I would ride bikes through this field in Ojai, Ca near where I grew up and there were always rattlesnakes there, luckily neither one of us got bit either!! I miss childhood – no care, worries, responsibilities with tons of yummy food made by scratch from family members. Ahhhh those were the days!! This cake looks so good, I totally agree it screams summer. I might be making it soon since we are moving into our new house in a couple weeks with an incomplete kitchen remodel so there is a chance all our meals will be grilled for a while!! I am all for grilled cake!!

• Brandy replied: — April 7th, 2013 @ 11:37 pm

Sounds like you had a lot of fun as a kid :) Congrats on the move! I can’t wait to see new house pictures!

marla — April 7, 2013 at 7:29 am

Now this is a beautiful spring pound cake! Love the beautiful berry topping :)

• Brandy replied: — April 7th, 2013 @ 11:35 pm

Thank you Marla! I love spring and all the fresh fruit it brings :)

sally @ sallys baking addiction — April 7, 2013 at 6:24 pm

This is putting me in the mood for summer! I never thought to grill pound cake before. I would love this for dinner right now instead of the grilled chicken we’re having. :)

• Brandy replied: — April 7th, 2013 @ 11:35 pm

Grilled chicken is tasty but grilled pound cake is even tastier :)

nicole @ I am a Honey Bee — April 8, 2013 at 1:18 pm

okay, so happening. I just discovered my local grocery store opens up at the crack of dawn (like 5.30am… what?) so I need to go & get some pound cake one day so I can make this… for breakfast. ha!!!

Ashley @ Baker by Nature — April 9, 2013 at 11:26 am

I can’t wait till berries start to pop up at the market here!!! This pound cake will definitely be happening.

Kate | Food Babbles — April 9, 2013 at 9:13 pm

These pictures are gorgeous!! I want to dive right in. This sounds like a perfect summer dessert. I can just see myself enjoying a slice out on my deck. Lovely!

Deborah — April 11, 2013 at 12:03 am

Ok, now I want to go to Georgia and visit your family!! :) I made grilled pound cake once before, but this looks absolutely amazing!!

Aimee @ ShugarySweets — April 11, 2013 at 6:39 am

Oh how gorgeous. I am totally making this. Soon.

Aggie — April 11, 2013 at 11:48 am

My love of nature and the outdoors always gets messed up by those darn snakes you mentioned!! I swear, they are everywhere lol!

This looks amazing. I’m totally going to serve for dessert next time I am having people over for a grill out. Love this!

Chung-Ah | Damn Delicious — April 11, 2013 at 12:54 pm

YES and YES! I’m sure I could eat this for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Who needs real food anyway?

Rosie @ Blueberry Kitchen — April 13, 2013 at 9:50 am

This looks and sounds totally gorgeous! I love the look of the fruit and ice cream on top!

Rebecca {Foodie with Family} — April 23, 2013 at 10:44 pm

I want this in my face right now. Seriously. Berries and grilled pound cake? You’re a mad genius.

Keeley @ My Life on a Plate — April 24, 2013 at 11:40 am

Great idea for summer fruits! I have a favorite pound cake recipe, but I may try serving it this way this summer.

Katrina @ In Katrina's Kitchen — April 24, 2013 at 12:08 pm

I couldn’t remember if I commented on this yet :) So so pretty!

1. Pingback: Ice Cream Round-Up | Cravings of a Lunatic