These homemade air fryer chicken taquitos are packed full of shredded chicken, cheese, and seasoning all rolled up in a corn tortilla. Serve alone or topped with shredded lettuce, salsa, guacamole, sour cream, and sliced jalapeños.
Are you looking for the perfect air fryer chicken recipe?
Well, look no further than my air fryer chicken taquitos!
These super crispy taquitos come out perfect every single time and are great served plain or topped with shredded lettuce, jalapeños, tomatoes, and sour cream.
I made this recipe even easier by using shredded rotisserie chicken as it makes putting these taquitos together super fast.
Plus, you know I LOVE using my air fryer because it doesn’t heat up the house and makes the food super crispy and delicious!
If you’re in the mood for a more traditional taquito try my Creamy Chicken Taquitos!
Ingredients for air fryer chicken taquitos
- Shredded chicken – I’m using a rotisserie chicken in this recipe but roasted or poached chicken would also be delicious– feel free to use light or dark meat in this recipe.
- Cheese – I’m using shredded Mexican blend cheese in this recipe but cheddar or pepper jack would be delicious too!
- Taco seasoning – I’m using store-bought taco seasoning in this recipe but homemade taco seasoning would be just as delicious! Feel free to use whatever you have on hand.
- Corn tortillas – Corn tortillas are the classic wrap used in taquitos but you could use flour if you prefer.
What is an air fryer?
An air fryer is basically a tabletop convection oven.
It mimics the outcome of a deep fat fryer but without the use of oil. Hot hair is moved around via a fan that quickly and crisply cooks up the food.
The 2 most common air fryers you’ll see are basket style (that is what I have) or convection/toaster oven style.
There are pluses to both but I personally prefer my basket style.
What is the best air fryer to buy?
My biggest tip when it comes to air fryers is to make sure you pick a style that will work the most for your family and the amount of food you will be cooking.
My large basket-style air fryer can cook up to 12 wings, 2-4 servings of french fries, etc. which works well for my household.
Substitutions and additions
This recipe is a simple version of taquitos BUT there are lots of options for additions and toppings that can take this dish from simple to even more complex and flavor-packed.
- Add in black beans or pinto beans to add some more protein and added flavor. It’s also a great way to bulk up the taquitos or use less meat.
- Mix in some salsa with the shredded meat for added garlic and tomato flavor to really jazz up the flavor of the filling.
- Squeeze in a little lime or lemon to add a little burst of citrus flavor.
- Chop up some cilantro for added freshness.
- Not a fan of corn tortillas? Use flour tortillas instead.
What to serve alongside taquitos
I will happily eat a tray of taquitos with nothing on the side BUT I’m aware that may not be for everyone.
Here are a few delicious side dishes that would pair perfectly with these air fryer taquitos.
- Love salad? These taquitos would go PERFECTLY with my Southwest Steak Salad with Fried Plantains.
- Craving crunchy? This Cilantro Apple Slaw is the perfect side dish!
- Want a summer side dish? Try my Beer Steamed Corn on the Cob.
- Need an easy grill side dish? These Blistered Shishito Peppers are just what you need!
More delicious air fryer recipes
- Need the perfect recipe for crispy chicken? Try my Air Fryer Chicken Thighs.
- Love chicken wings? Try my Air Fryer Garlic Parmesan Chicken Wings.
- Craving a hot dog fix? Try my Air Fryer Hot Dogs.
- Want a homemade version of your favorite childhood snack? Try my Air Fryer Pizza Hot Pockets.
- 2 cups shredded cooked chicken
- 3/4 cup shredded Mexican blend cheese
- 2 tablespoons taco seasoning
- 10 medium sized corn tortillas
- Topping options: shredded lettuce, salsa, guacamole, sliced avocado, sour cream, sliced jalapenos
- Stir together the shredded chicken, shredded cheese, and taco seasoning in a medium bowl.
- Wrap the tortillas in a damp paper towel and heat them in the microwave for 30 seconds, or just until you can roll them without ripping or tearing the tortillas.
- Spray both sides of a corn tortilla with olive oil spray, or brush it with olive oil.
- Add a heaping spoonful of the seasoned shredded chicken and cheese to the center of the tortilla and roll it into a tight log and place it seam-side down in the air fryer basket.
- Repeat with the remaining taquitos, placing as many as will fit without overcrowding the basket.
- Spray the tops of the taquitos with olive oil spray again.
- Cook at 400 degrees F for 10-12 minutes, or until the taquitos are crisp and golden brown.
- Garnish with your desired toppings and enjoy immediately. I do not recommend storing the taquitos as they will become less crisp as they sit.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 10 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 189Total Fat: 10gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 34mgSodium: 222mgCarbohydrates: 14gFiber: 3gSugar: 1gProtein: 11g
This website provides approximate nutrition information for convenience and as a courtesy only. Nutrition information can vary for a variety of reasons. For the most precise nutritional data use your preferred nutrition calculator based on the actual ingredients you used in the recipe.