Looking for a healthier alternative to chicken nuggets that’ll still please your picky eaters?
They’re a healthier alternative to your everyday traditional fried chicken nuggets, and come out crispy on the outside and juicy on the inside.
And covered in buffalo sauce, they’re the perfect combination of spicy and savory!
Whether you’re hosting a game day party, or just craving some delicious comfort food, these
Table of Contents
air fryer buffalo chicken nuggets
- Chicken breast – Boneless skinless chicken breast is lean and a great canvas for any flavor!
- All-purpose flour and cornstarch – These will help create a crispy crust on the outside of the nuggets.
- Buttermilk and egg – These will help the dry ingredients stick to the nuggets.
- Frank’s red hot sauce – This is my favorite brand of hot sauce, but feel free to use yours!
- Butter – Butter will add delicious flavor.
- Garlic powder – Garlic is a traditional ingredient that will add earthiness to the nuggets.
Don’t forget the dip!
Some of my favorite dips for these
- Blue cheese dip
- Honey mustard
- Garlic aioli
- Tzatziki Sauce
Using alternative flour
If you’re gluten-free, you can still have crispy, delicious buffalo chicken nuggets!
Just swap out the all-purpose flour for your favorite gluten-free flour!
Air Fryer FAQ
Storage and leftovers
To reheat, simply place on a microwave-safe dish covered loosely with a damp paper towel and heat for 2-3 minutes or until heated thoroughly.
air fryer recipes
- Love all things with buffalo sauce? Try my Air Fryer Buffalo Chicken Wontons
- Craving something sweet? Try my Air Fryer Cinnamon Sugar Knots
- Need some fries with that? Try my Air Fryer Pumpkin Fries
- Want some seafood? Try my Air Fryer Shrimp
Air Fryer Buffalo Chicken Nuggets
- 1 pound chicken breast cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup cornstarch
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 large egg
For buffalo sauce:
- ⅓ cup Frank’s Red Hot Sauce
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- Line the air fryer basket with parchment paper and set it aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour and cornstarch.
- In another bowl, whisk together the buttermilk and egg.
- Dip the chicken pieces (a few at a time) into the dry mix, then into the wet mix, and back into the dry mix again.
- Place the breaded chicken in a single layer in the air fryer and spray them lightly with olive oil spray.
- Cook for 8 minutes at 400 degrees F, then flip the chicken and spray them again with olive oil spray.
- Cook for an additional 5-8 minutes or until the chicken is crisp and registers 165 degrees F on an instant read thermometer.
For buffalo sauce:
- Combine the hot sauce, butter, and garlic powder in a small saucepan set over medium heat.
- Whisk to combine and then remove from the heat and cool to room temperature.
- Cooling the buffalo sauce before adding it to the chicken will help keep the coating on the chicken crispy. Adding a hot sauce to the breaded chicken will result in a soggy coating.
- Garnish with freshly chopped parsley or green onion and serve immediately.