This air fryer chicken parmesan makes this comforting Italian dish easy and delicious, without all that extra oil!
Who doesn’t love a big plate of chicken parmesan?
This air fryer chicken parmesan takes traditional chicken parm and makes it easier to prepare, with fewer cleanups thanks to our air fryer!
Crispy, crunchy, panko-breaded chicken cutlets, smothered in marinara and gooey cheese, this is the perfect dinner to feed a hungry family after a long day or serve up to friends at a dinner party.
Trust me, once you try this air fryer chicken parmesan, you may never go back to frying in oil again.
Ingredients for air fryer chicken parmesan
- Chicken cutlets – These are thinly sliced boneless, skinless chicken breasts. They will cook quickly and evenly.
- Seasoned bread crumbs – Seasoned bread crumbs usually have garlic and onion powder, and sometimes dried parsley and rosemary already blended in for you. You can find them in the baking aisle of your local grocery store.
- Panko bread crumbs – Panko bread crumbs are larger, which will give us a bigger crunch.
- Parmesan cheese – Parmesan cheese is an Italian cow’s milk cheese, that’s aged for at least 12 months. It has a salty, savory flavor.
- Garlic powder – This will add even more garlic flavor to our cutlets.
- Eggs and milk – This combination of wet ingredients will help the breadcrumbs stick and hold onto the chicken cutlets.
- Marinara sauce – Feel free to use homemade, or your favorite store-bought variety.
- Mozzarella – A classic cheese for chicken parmesan, this cheese melts beautifully on top!
How to make your own chicken cutlets
You can always ask your butcher at your local grocery store to cut your boneless, skinless chicken breasts into cutlets for you (they do this for free).
But in case you’re running short on time, or if it’s busy at the butcher shop that day, it’s always good to know how to do it yourself at home!
Simply lay your chicken breast flat on your cutting board, and place your non-dominant hand flat on top, keeping your fingers sticking out straight and as flat as possible.
With your knife in your dominant hand, keep it parallel to the cutting board, simply wiggle back and forth, cutting along the chicken breast lengthwise, until you reach the end.
What is an air fryer?
An air fryer is basically a tabletop convection oven.
It mimics the outcome of a deep-fat fryer but without the use of oil. Hot hair is moved around via a fan that quickly and crisply cooks up the food.
The 2 most common air fryers you’ll see are basket style (that is what I have) or convection/toaster oven style.
There are pluses to both but I personally prefer my basket style.
What is the best air fryer to buy?
My biggest tip when it comes to air fryers is to make sure you pick a style that will work the most for your family and the amount of food you will be cooking.
My large basket-style air fryer can cook up to 12 wings, 2-4 servings of french fries, etc. which work well for my household.
Storage and leftovers
Leftovers of this air fryer chicken parmesan can be kept in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
To reheat, simply place in a microwave-safe dish covered loosely with a paper towel and heat for 2-3 minutes or until heated thoroughly.
More air fryer recipes
- Craving seafood? Try my Air fryer Crab Cakes.
- Want something Mexican? Try my Air Fryer Chicken Taquitos.
- Love pizza? Try my Air Fryer Pizza Hot Pockets.
- Need wings for game day? Try my Air Fryer Garlic Parmesan Chicken Wings.
- 4 chicken cutlets
- 3/4 cup seasoned bread crumbs
- 1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup panko bread crumbs
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 large eggs
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 cup marinara sauce
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese
- Pound out your cutlets if the cutlets are not of similar size and thickness. This will help them cook up evenly.
- On a plate mix together the bread crumbs, panko, kosher salt, black pepper, and garlic powder.
- In a small bowl whisk together the eggs and milk.
- Working with one piece of chicken at a time, coat the chicken in the egg and milk mixture. Once evenly covered, transfer onto your breadcrumb plate.
- Press the chicken into the breadcrumb mixture coating both sides evenly.
- Add to a clean plate and set the prepared chicken aside.
- Preheat your air fryer to 400 degrees F.
- Once preheated, add your prepared chicken cutlets to the air fryer. If your chicken cannot fit in one layer you'll have to work in batches.
- Cook at 400 degrees F for 6 minutes per side or until it reaches 165 degrees F.
- Remove from the air fryer, and top each cutlet with an equal amount of marinara sauce and mozzarella cheese.
- Add back to the air fryer and air fry at 400 degrees F for 1-2 minutes to just melt the cheese.
- Sprinkle with fresh minced basil if desired.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 580Total Fat: 22gSaturated Fat: 8gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 12gCholesterol: 273mgSodium: 1510mgCarbohydrates: 44gFiber: 4gSugar: 7gProtein: 48g
This website provides approximate nutrition information for convenience and as a courtesy only. Nutrition information can vary for a variety of reasons. For the most precise nutritional data use your preferred nutrition calculator based on the actual ingredients you used in the recipe.